Thursday, August 05, 2010

Shawn Frost - This post is for you

Shawn Frost - Thank you for the delightful recommendation of Bar Da Cachoeira. It proved to be a very nice Sunday afternoon activity and you are correct, we kept going until we had the "I think we missed a turn" conversation and kept at it until we stumbled upon this secluded (albeit quite busy) gem of a bar!! Thanks Shawn!!!
We made it!! Just as described to us!

The bar was this delightful outdoor, rustic retreat. It had a little fountain and tons of tables with a live band and everything!

Enjoying a nice cold Brahma beer! Brazil always serves beer in this strange insulated container to insure the beer is always very very cold. Typically you order a bottle or two (they are big 600ml I think) and share with the table. So they bring tiny little glasses that you constantly refill.

Carolina, Sandra and I at Bar de Cachoeira we always have a good time together!

Cachoeira means waterfall - this is their waterfall... It's a bit disappointing but there were also horses that were available for the kids to ride, so in my opinion that made up for it!



This picture is just for a good laugh. I sent my clothes out to be washed because I don't have a machine in my apartment and Brazil is not familiar with the laundry mat concept. Everything came back very neat and folded into separate plastic pouches. This is not how I intend to do my laundry all the time (as they charge almost $4 per pair of underwear - and I have 24 pairs according to the package) but my hotel mistakenly sent my clothes to the super chic place vs the "pay by the kilo" place I had asked for.

Speaking of kilos.... I'm not sure I'm every going to get used to this measurement system. I'm very well versed in all things metric from my chemical engineering degree (hello unit conversion - what do you mean you want this in pound-force? I only speak newtons) but when it comes to my personal weight and height, I'm all pounds and feet. And I have no idea if 15C is hot or cold. I know 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling... and 40 is what I felt in India sometimes during the summer. But... 23C? Do I need a jacket?? Oh... that place is 7km from here huh? Can I walk that?? (Ok, not that bad w/ the distance, I have run a 5K so I know walkable) But people tell me how far cities are in km... like oh that is 150km from here. I speak in hours of driving when it comes to distance... I have no idea how far Colorado Springs is from Denver in miles. I just know it takes about 1:30-1:45 minutes to get from my dad's house to Gram's house.

Portuguese class tonight - should be fun!! I didn't do my homework... so bad...

2 comments:

Shawn Frost said...

OMG Allison I'm so glad you went! It brought the biggest smile to my face to see you in a familiar setting....I'm thrilled to know it's still there and you didn't just end up driving around a mountain for hours cursing my name. Thank you so much for trying it! LOVE those keep-em-cold containers for beers! If you go back also try a couple of their caipirinhas. They always have the freshest fruits, and it was there that I enjoyed a pineapple/grape/basil (?!?) caipirinha and was HOOKED. Miss you!!!

Shawn Frost said...

So I didn't want to leave a novel in the last comment. I'll just post another......
HAHAHA!! Did I never share my laundry story with you?? I know exactly what you felt when those plastic-wrapped blouses showed up and your undergarments were all neatly folded (maybe even pressed?). It's great until you discover you'll have to sell some internal organs to pay the bill. I was this close to opening a laundromat/bar as my self-made-millionaire idea....you wanna? :)