Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Sooner than you think

I filled out some paperwork for my stipend that I receive for going abroad today which made me feel pretty good. The program I'm going abroad with provides some funds in an attempt to make the experience close to 'financially neutral' as they call it. Basically they don't want cost to be a deterrent for study abroad. This made me pretty happy seeing as it is more than covering the cost of my airfare and housing for the semester. Granted I am probably going to spend a ton of money just traveling around because lets be honest, if I'm in India I'm going to try to explore all of it!

I have been getting asked a lot recently if I'm nervous or not. I sort of smirk whenever I'm asked because how do you really answer that? If you say yes and launch into a series of reasons like "I'm not going to know anyone, I'm going to be the only white female, I'm not going to speak the local language, I'm going to be literally halfway around the world from anything I know or have ever know or could ever consider familiar' you get all worried and start thinking maybe I should just stay. But if you say no you aren't nervous they laugh at you and ask in a semi-condescending tone why not. I sort of play it off like, yes but I'm more excited than nervous. That usually suffices as a good enough answer for them and I'm spared the barrage of safety questions.

*40 days*

No comments: