Saturday, March 14, 2015

Am I Boring?

This is a real question.  Am I boring?  I fear that the answer is yes.  I am boring.  I think I actually bore myself sometimes.

I was asked what I like to do the other day.  My standard answer to that is "I'm an avid cyclist, I work a lot, and I read, spend time with friends, and plan adventures."  The truth is the last two activities are lies now.  I don't spend time with friends because I don't really have many to speak of.  I've not planned an adventure in a long time.  I'm coming up on my birthday and I will for the first time in many years fall behind in my life goal of keeping the numbers of countries I've visited greater than my age.  I feel boring.

So how does one become interesting?  How does someone start doing something that is exciting and engaging and anything that is an antonym to boring?  I thought maybe I should take a class of sorts.  Cooking, drawing, painting, dancing, guitar, archery... I don't know.  But is that really the solution?  I suppose I could find a new hobby by taking a course in something like that which would be nice but I don't think it solves the real problem.

I could study for the GRE and start thinking about grad school and applying for an MBA.  I've always like school and I think I would like having a graduate degree.  Being in Silicon Valley it's a mix of highly inspiring and very humbling.  Seems like everyone around here is the best of the best at what they do, and they are doing very exciting things that they are passionate about.  I miss being passionate about what I do.  Everyone is so innovative and excited about trying to take the world by storm with their ideas.  As I said, it's super inspiring.  It also is a strong juxtaposition to how I feel about my dull life right now.

Highly innovative, fast paced, exciting, and risky vs. whatever the heck it is that I do everyday.

*sigh*

What do I do?

2 comments:

Siddharth said...

:'(
Your friend on the other side of the world is still your frie d and available for any adventures together you want to plan.
*Hugs*

Siddharth said...

:'(
Your friend on the other side of the world is still your frie d and available for any adventures together you want to plan.
*Hugs*