Friday, February 06, 2015

Somethings I Need to Work On

Has anyone noticed how when you get into a new relationship there quickly become dozens of small things that all of a sudden are really big things?  Small things being, how you like to load the dishwasher, or eat certain foods, or coordinate your day, or any other seemingly insignificant item.  Then when you pair it with a new person who does things just slightly differently, you realize just how much you liked things the way you liked them? You also start to notice things about yourself that you didn't realize were a part of who you are almost like you are learning yourself as you are learning someone else.

I have a new man friend.  I really like this gentleman.  He's funny, smart, very giving, and genuine in ways I didn't know that I wasn't.  He is a bit more type A than I am about the way he has his life set up.  He tries, oh gosh does he try, to let me feel perfectly included in his life.  He's a wonderful communicator.  He's open with me, direct without being cutting, and as I said - genuine.  We've had very few moments of tension between us which is really nice.  In the short time we've been dating, I have learned a few things about myself.  Some he's unknowingly brought to my attention, others he does with a bit more conscience effort.

Somethings I Need to Work On:
  • Accepting feedback about trivial things, because they are after all, trivial.
  • Accepting apologies from someone who gives them genuinely.  I get weird and clam up and quiet when he apologizes to me.  It's almost like I've never really had someone apologize and mean it before.  This feels different.  I'm not good at this.
  • Being open with him about what I'm thinking and feeling.  I tend to gloss over.  I tend to bottle up and think nothing is a big deal until is a big deal.  I internalize.  
  • Asking for help.  I hate asking for help.  My life. My burdens. My problem.  Mine.  I'll help you with whatever you need, but you'll never help me because you won't know I need it until I'm crying on the bathroom floor (Brazil flashback... ouch)
  • Sharing my life - I feel boring with him.  Boring because it's always us doing his things, sharing his world, living his life.  I feel like I've become a willing accessory in his life because of the SOLE fact that I've not tried to include him in my life more. (Queue diatribe about my life transitions and having no roots and thus no history to share, no favorite place, no favorite activity, just a stream of endless change which is dull)
  • Thinking I'm worthy.  I'm not great at this.  I should be better, I need to be better.
Any tips are much appreciated on how to accomplish any of the above.  I need to do better.

No comments: