Tuesday, May 01, 2007

God's Own Country

As Kerala is warmly referred to around here, I'm in God's Own Country. It is beautiful that is true, gorgeous perhaps even. I'm having a grand time so far, eating new foods, meeting new people, and learning that the bus system is really a good time. Yesterday I stayed in a hotel that is only reachable by canoe and I was the only guest. As such, the owner and I became "friends." I asked to go on a backwater tour, so we hoped in the canoe and headed out. It was so beautiful and relaxing. It was amazing to see the type of life people live. They are totally dependent upon the land. There are paddies of rice which provide for the bulk of the diet, there are also coconuts, bananas, pineapple, and fish from the river as well as tea leaves and curry leaves for cooking. Some families have a cow or two, others chickens or goats. I tried some coconut alcohol which was quite interesting. It is semi-carbonated which is fun. I had my first ayurvedic massage, which was simply amazing, and mostly just oily. I'm now sitting in an internet cafe of sorts next to Periyar Tiger Preserve... I'm fearing for my life... j/k. Off to my little house for the night with my French roommate Stephanie!

I'll get pics up as soon as I'm back in Bangalore (oh yeah, I'm now 'moved' into Bangalore) Life's a whirlwind!!

1 comment:

Sidd said...

Hey Bachchoo,

Looks like u r enjoying every moment of your trip to Kerela. Keep an open mind and dare to try(Heck... I don't need to reming YOU that :P )
I am missing you a lot. *pouty face*