Monday, December 31, 2012

Homeownership - is that a word? Is that even a thing??

As my last post alluded to, a lot has changed in my life.  The biggest has been the acquisition of a house.  Yes, I bought a house.  If that doesn't shock you, surprise you, or at a minimum cause you to raise an inquisitory eyebrow, you don't know me that well (please read the last 5 years of blog posts to rectify that situation.)   In a nutshell, houses equal roots and roots equal not using wings.  Again, for anyone who knows me even a little bit, you know that my wings are in constant use.  I believe my first plane ride was at about 3 months old, and I've been going, going, going ever since.  Thus, a house (and the associated root system that comes with it) is not something that I would have believed I would own at this stage in life.  Yet here I am, living quite peacefully in my own cute 3 bedroom house in a quiet neighborhood.
It should not be surprising that it is blue, everything in my life would be blue if possible.  Notice the cute garage in the back also!
What sold me on the house was the back yard.  I'm not much of an outdoorsy person and the thought of doing yard work is unappetizing to say the least.  Yet, when I walked out and saw this beautiful deck, I thought, I can do yard work if it means having friends over and hanging out here!!
Here is the back of the house.  Yes, I have a white fence.  Yes, I basically purchased the American Dream house.  I didn't even know I had that dream (admittedly I'm still not sure I do) but I own the house!!

Now begins the next big adventure in my life - homeownership.  The house was already nicely updated when I bought it so there aren't many "must do" projects.  I do, however, have a small list of "nice to have" projects:
  • Cut doorway into living room from backdoor hallway - DONE!
  • Replace all outlets/light switches with white covers - DONE! (thanks Daddy)
  • Replace kitchen and bedroom light fixtures - DONE!
  • Replace front and back doors
  • Modify master bedroom closet 
  • Rip out master bedroom carpet (re-carpet or refinish hardwood?!?)
  • Refinish kitchen hardwood floor
  • Improve kitchen pantry w/ sliding shelves
  • Install overhead lighting in the living room (ceiling fan?  canister lights?)
  • Redo the main bathroom tub/shower system (only pictures can explain this one)
The list goes on and on....  the funny part is that all those projects are simply "nice to haves" because the house really is pretty nice already.  Granted the previous owners did take some short cuts in their updating which is a real pain.  Example:  Painting over wallpaper.  How on Earth can I do anything to that wall now?  I can't unless I want to peel the wallpaper off and repaint.  All of a sudden a quick fixture move became a multiple day, multiple trips to the hardware store, multiple calls to Dad for help project.  So, the fixture is staying right where it is!!

Look forward to many posts about my adventures in home repair, improvement, and home ownership.   I've already had to call the gas company to come fix a gas leak, so you know this next adventure is going to be awesome :)  Maybe roots aren't so bad after all.... did I just say that... who am I??

No comments: