Saturday, July 17, 2010

An assortment of items (days 8-9)

A few photos...

This is Sandra - she is awesome

This is a very tasty snack/dessert made with Acai berries, bananas, honey, yogurt, and granola. It is basically a really thick smoothie that you eat with a spoon. Sandra and I shared this at a cute little cafe in Peruibe. This is the coastal town where her parents live and where I spent my first weekend in Brazil!
This is the "warning" posted in my shower. I'm not sure how warm and pleasant water is something that requires a warning sign though.

I bought this shampoo believing it says "chaos therapy" and thinking that was a wildly cleaver name for a shampoo and it must clearly be to help tame frizzy and unruly hair. After purchasing and further investigation "Cachos" is in fact not the same word as "chaos." It is, however, the Portuguese word for "curls." So in the end, I still probably purchased the best shampoo for my wavy locks and I am only mildly disappointed that Chaos Therapy isn't on the market.
Sandra and I walked a farmers market today where I enjoyed my first pastel! Pastel is like a large, rectangular shaped empanada-esque food. It is filled with a variety of meats or cheeses and then served with an option of salsas and hot sauces. It is quite unhealthy I'm sure (as friend bread tends to be...) but is also quite delicious! I am enjoying a frango pastel in this picture (shredded chicken and yummy spices)

These are the biggest figs I've ever seen. I will be purchasing a lot of these as I thoroughly enjoy a good fig, and they are like $2 a box...

Mangostein!! I couldn't believe my luck in finding this delicious fruit! They are just as expensive here as in the States, despite not being imported (around $1.75 each) but I bought two anyway. There are just beyond yummy and I cannot wait for them to get nice and ripe!

2 comments:

Sokerchick said...

When you hold the mangostien like that I worry... You look so comfortable holding them like that :-p

Glad you're enjoying Brazil. We need to Skype and find out when I can come enjoy Brazil as well

Sidd said...

hey... that fruit's the same ting we had in ooty?