Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rabat

Katie and I are now in Rabat, the political capital of Morocco. It is a much more western city than either Fes or Meknes. The men wear more suits and western dress than I've seen in the other cities. The medina is much calmer and easier to navigate (proud to announce we did not get lost!) We are staying here for two days and then heading back to Casablanca so I can catch an early flight on Saturday to the UAE. Katie then gets to head home! Oh, and for some reason Katie attracts flies... she might need a really good scrubbing when she gets home - just a heads up to her family! We also had quite the adventure with the squat toilet in the hotel. Through much awkward conversation we figured out which way to stand to minimize splashing and other yucky things... My Indian experiences did not help much in that department I discovered but we figured it out! Yay us! (potty training - passed)
Having a really fun time - hope all is well at home.
The most beautiful pink room in Rabat, and it is all ours for only $15 a night!! Granted the room does come with a sunrise call to prayer, so we didn't really sleep in too much.

Umm... we are in Morocco right?? I was unaware that other countries found our presidents worthy of street names. haha

Wandering near the Challah wall, look at those hiking sandles! (thanks daddy...)

Katie exploring the Chellah

Katie and I at the Chellah, an area of ruins

The Sephamore platform in the Kasbah, it is used to send messages to incoming ships and near by Sale (a town just across the estuary)

Little people live here, I wouldn't have an easy time getting inside...

Walking (Rocking) the Kasbah.

Diligently writing home from a view over the Atlantic ocean.

The souqs in the medina, selling everything from carpets to soap

Higidies!! Actually they are turtles, but in Roatan, Honduras, they are Higidies
These were for sale in the medina, these were the smallest ones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

turtles are cool..

Nice jacket too. Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves. They certainly seem to have better weather. It wont quit raining here, but i still got 160 road miles in this week.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

My mom got the post card today that we send from Morocco!

Anonymous said...

I love your potty training story. The first few times I tried squat toilets, it was...not pleasant. But I'm used to them now! The worst ones are the kind where the "toilets" are all in a row and everything goes into a trough... I generally avoid those and just hold it.

I think your picture with the mini-door is a good contrast with the mosque picture :-D The mini-door reminded me of hobbits