Monday, December 11, 2006

Comfort Zone

I received some pretty cool maps and paperwork from a returning student the other day about IIT. I found IIT on a map of Bombay which was fun, sorta cool to see where I'll be in relation to the world. I also got a welcome booklet that they give to freshman with a lot of info about campus life. I'm starting to realize how elite a place I'm going and it's starting to really scare me. I've heard multiple times that the level of student is really amazing over there. Their math skills are apparently unparalleled. My fluid mechanics TA is Indian and he was telling me about the entrance exam. Basically he broke it down into numbers for me, there are ~1billion of people in India, if just 0.1% apply to go to IIT that's 100,000 people. There are about 4700 undergraduates on campus. Imagine how smart these people are!

I'm definitely outside my comfort zone on this one. That's a good thing though. I reread a quote of mine that says "Feel the fear and do it anyway." That's what I'm doing, right now I'm feeling the fear, and I'm doing it anyway. Makes me feel like I'm living my life though and that feels great!

*14 days*

1 comment:

Sidd said...

Hope the myth of our smartness is broken, now that you have met us :P